Estate Planning
What Happens if I Die Without a Will?
Quite simply, if you die without a will, you lose control over how your assets and property are distributed.
I offer a complete estate package including a will, self-proving affidavit, advanced directive to physician (living will), durable medical power of attorney and durable power of attorney.
Each document will be carefully customized to meet your needs. 

What happens if I die without a will? 
If you die without a will in Texas, it is called “dying intestate.” This simply means that the probate code will govern how your belongings, money, and other tangible items are divided up. If you have children and you and your spouse pass on at the same time, then the state will make the determination of who raises your children.

Why do I need a will?
A will is simply a way to be a good steward with the belongings and financial assets you accumulate during life. A will allows you to provide for your family and dictate how you want your possessions to be distributed. You may choose to leave your possessions to friends outside your family, but the only way to do so is through a will.

Similarly, if you are estranged from a family member, or you choose to provide for them outside of a will, you can state in your will reasons for disinheriting or passing over certain people who would otherwise normally inherit under your will.

Can I use an online or software based estate planning program?
The short answer is: You can, but you shouldn’t.
Online or software based programs do not offer the same face to face contact that a lawyer can give you. Online programs can charge you extra fees if you want to make any changes to your will. Additionally, a lawyer can explain things to you that an online program may not explain as well, or at all.
Advanced Directives
Why do I need an Advanced Directive?

An advanced directive is also known as a “living” will. A “living” will can advise your family and your physician as to how you want to proceed if your ability to make decisions for yourself is compromised.
An Advanced Directive is a simple form that must be signed in front of two witnesses and notarized. You are given two separate decisions to make:

❖ If you are suffering from a terminal condition that will result the end of life within 6 months, regardless of life sustaining treatment, would you prefer life sustaining treatment for the remainder of life, or would you prefer to be given only medications that allow you to rest comfortably and with dignity until the end of life?   
❖If you have an irreversible condition, but would live for an undeterminable amount of time with life sustaining treatment, would you prefer the life sustaining treatment, or only such treatment as would keep you comfortable until the end of life?

These are not easy questions to answer, and certainly not pleasant scenarios to imagine. However, the best way to take care of your family and loved ones is to clearly make your wishes known. With a living will your family will have no doubt of your wishes and their burden in making difficult decisions will be eased when they are assured that you have formally made your wishes known.
Power of Attorney
What is a Power of Attorney and why do I need one?

A power of attorney is a legal document that gives the person you choose power to make legal decisions for you.

There are two types of Power of Attorney.

1.The first variation is used when you wish to allow someone to make a decision on your behalf. For instance, you may want to give someone power over your financial affairs while you take an extended vacation. Or you may want to give someone authorization to make a large purchase, such as a car, on your behalf. If you become incapacitated, or unable to make your own decisions, the power of attorney expires. This is not the best power of attorney to use if you are trying to protect your assets.

2.The second variation is a durable power of attorney. A durable power of attorney does not go into effect until you are incapacitated. It is important to choose someone you trust, as they will be your voice when you cannot speak for yourself. You may choose to issue two separate power of attorney documents, one that pertains to non-medical affairs, and one that is specifically for medical affairs. It is advisable to give the medical durable power of attorney and regular durable power of attorney to two separate people so that no one person has control of both your financial and medical affairs. In your regular durable power of attorney, you may place limits on what the person can do with your financial affairs, such as placing limits on the sale of property or liquidating of assets